Camp Achieve 2019- Extended School Year
Camp Achieve Summer 2019
Chester Public Schools presents Camp Achieve, an extended school year program for classified students in Chester and students from area districts from Monday through Thursday. There is no school on Fridays.
Camp Achieve Summer 2019
July 8th through August 8th
Students from preschool through grade 8 -
DON’T MISS THE
THAT WILL MAINTAIN
YOUR CHILD’S SKILLS
CAMP ACHIEVE OFFERS A PROGRAM THAT WILL FOLLOW AND IMPLEMENT YOUR CHILD’S INDIVIDUAL EDUCATION PROGRAM
Camp Achieve is a 4.5 hour program for students from preschool through grade 8. For preschoolers, the program is for 2.5 hours. The program begins at 8:30 and ends at 11:00 a.m. for preschool students and at 1:00 for all other students.
There is no school on Fridays.
STAFF IS HIGHLY QUALIFIED
The Camp Achieve staff is a veteran staff with many years of teaching experience. All staff members are certified with expertise in teaching any child with special needs. The staff provides a very active, hands-on, multi-sensory approach to learning, using your child’s multiple intelligences. The staff is very enthusiastic, creative, and caring .
Children will read every day in class with a special emphasis on phonics skills. Teachers are trained in Orton-Gillingham reading methods such as Project Read and Wilson. For our younger campers, reading readiness skills will be reinforced.
Children will practice writing skills every day with a special emphasis on learning how to organize their thoughts and writing.
Children in grades 2 through 8 are taught keyboarding skills and how to use reading, writing, and math software. For children in preschool through grade 1, computer time is also provided.
Children participate in hands-on math activities using a game format and lots of practice reinforcing and applying their math skills. It is our goal to have your child memorize math facts by the end of Camp Achieve.
For Summer 2019, we will be providing additional Spanish Language Instruction
for all Camp Achievers.
Social Skills Outings
In addition to weekly social skills instruction, students participate in several off-campus outings in which they are provided the opportunity to practice their social skills with other students. The outings are led by Dr. Melissa Scherzer who develops the groups with selected role models so students can build and maintain friendships.
1. Camp Achieve Store– Students run the Camp Achieve store. Campers can go shopping and apply their math skills as they shop.
2. Dance —A ‘DJ’ comes to Camp Achieve to teach the campers square dancing and line dancing.
3. Keyboard Olympics– Campers participate in keyboarding contests. They practice their typing skills and receive awards.
4. Olympics Day– Every camper is a winner at this Olympics. They compete individually or on a team in all kinds of races.
5. Recess time– Every day for 20 minutes, students participate in a semi-structured physical education time where they learn and practice ball-handling skills, gross-motor skills, how to jump-rope, play games, and team sports.
6. Geography Bee day– Students apply their map skills in a “Jeopardy” team game.
7. Camp Achieve Assembly– Students receive awards for their achievements. Parents are invited.
8. “Mad Scientist”, “Dr. John Puppeteer”, and other enrichment activities are planned for Camp Achieve to enrich our campers’ lives.
9. Water Activities day– Campers participate in races and activities using water. Campers in grades kindergarten to grade eight go to the pool two to three times during the summer.
10. Music therapy provided by Jammin Jen'
Tuition students are welcome The program includes the related services of integrated and/or group speech and occupational therapy two times a week at no extra cost. Physical therapy, applied behavior analysis therapy, counseling, and individual sessions of speech and occupational therapy are available and can be provided at an additional cost.
For more information, please contact
Dr. Jeanette Mahon Krone
Director of Student Services
Chester Public Schools
250 Rt. 24
Chester, New Jersey, 07930