Daily Living Tips
- Children typically require demonstration, explanation, and lots of practice to master tying their shoes.
- Remember there are various methods to shoe typing. Try and see what works best for your child.
- Be sure laces are long enough so that your child can make large loops if needed.
- Practicing knots on a jump rope or pipe cleaner can also make it easier and more fun.
- Help your child up until the very last step to allow him/her to successfully complete the dressing task. Do less and less as your child can do more and more. For example:
- Assist with fastening the zipper but allow the child to pull it up.
- Help your child put each leg into his/her pants but have your child pull his/her pants up independently.
- Insert a button halfway into the hole, but let your child pull it fully through.
- Teach your child to locate the tag first to identify the front when putting on shirts or jackets.
- Use Soap
- Scrub palm to palm
- Scrub back of hands
- Wash between fingers
- Wash thumbs
- Scrub fingernails
- Wash wrists
- Rinse hands
- Dry Hands